Microsoft has released “Security Essentials” for PCs which are running genuine windows. It is a free download. You can download Microsoft Security Essentials here.
As usual this product from Microsoft is simple to install. Easy to update and quick to scan. And with green "right" mark on taskbar makes easy to tell if that PC is secure
Updating Security Definitions
Quick Scan after install and initial update
Final and regular screen of Microsoft Security Essentials
Also on the Security Essentials site, under support tab, there are videos which can show
- how to install Security Essentials,
- how to scan your PC
- how to address threat when detected by Security Essentials
Also you have access to online community as well as access to help and how-to. If everything else fails, you can open a support case too.
My first impression is positive for the product. I have observed that
- the Microsoft Security Essentials can be installed along side Avast! and Spyware Blaster.
- in quick scan mode the Microsoft Security Essentials has performed the task quickly without slowing down my Vista laptop.
- after scanning while watching from windows tray this virus, malware protection has not reduced opening and closing of browsers, office documents or archives.
You can find minimum requirements for Microsoft Security Essentials here. It can be installed on Genuine Windows XP (Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3); Windows Vista (Gold, Service Pack 1, or Service Pack 2); Windows 7. Plus it supports Windows XP mode in Windows 7.
It would be interesting to see reaction of other companies which are already in this space of PC Protection from virus, spyware and malware. Also how would open source pc tools compete with this new tool.
Enjoy... and stay safe !!!!